v/a - J Jazz Volume 3: Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 3LP
BBE Music presents J Jazz volume 3, the latest in its definitive compilation series exploring the finest modern jazz from Japan.
Since the first volume in February 2018, the J Jazz compilation series has showcased some of the most creative, inspired, and sought-after jazz recorded in Japan during a golden period spanning the 1960s to the 1980s. Illustrating the richness and versatility of the composers and musicians on this collection, the music spans a wide yet coherent range of styles: samba, funk fusion, modal, spiritual, post-bop, and bossa all combine to present an aural portrait of a jazz scene that was constantly moving and shifting its multiple musical centres of gravity.
Mastered at the Grammy-nominated Carvery studio in London, many of the tracks featured are reissued for the first time, including mega-rare private press cuts from the Yasuhiro Kohno Trio, Masaru Imada Trio, and Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet. There’s heavy post modal bop by J Jazz legends Kohsuke Mine and Koichi Matsukaze; samba heat from Tatsuya Nakamura, Hideo Shiraki and Seiichi Nakamura; and funky dance floor energy by Hiroshi Murakami, Ryojiro Furusawa Quartet and Shigeharu Mukai.
Selected albums from which the tracks are drawn will be reissued in full as part of the acclaimed BBE Music J Jazz Masterclass Series. Released as a deluxe, heavyweight x3 vinyl set in a gatefold sleeve with obi strip and insert, the collection comes with extensive artist biographies and track information. J Jazz volume 3 is also available in a x2 CD set with three bonus tracks, and selected tracks are available across digital platforms for download and streaming. J Jazz is conceived, compiled, and annotated by Tony Higgins and Mike Peden for BBE Music.
1. Yasuhiro Kohno Trio + One – Song Of Island
2. Shigeharu Mukai – Cumulonimbus
3. Kohsuke Mine – Morning Tide
4. Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet Featuring Hiroshi Fujii – Black Nile
5. Aki Takase Trio – Song for Hope
6. Itakura Katsuyuki Trio – Honey Sanba
7. Ryusei Tomoyose Quartet – Kirisame
8. Masao Nakajima Quartet – Kemo Sabe
9. Hiroshi Murakami & Dancing Sphinx – Phoebus
10. Masaru Imada Trio + 1 – Planets
11. Tatsuya Nakamura – ¼ Samba II
12. Eiji Nakayama – Cumorah
13. Koichi Matsukaze Trio feat Ryojiro Furusawa – Acoustic Chicken